e mërkurë, 7 nëntor 2007

Under construction..

My house that is...that's what it feels like right now. There is staging up against the back side where Don is shingling the roof. The chimney for the wood stove is being relined because the tiles are cracked from some "incident" and the flat roof off the computer room has been reroofed but is leaking..terribly! I'm thinking how did we get here??? Well, we have this old house 1870's colonial which has "character". We try to do at least one maintenance project and one
"new" project a year. By new I mean something that shows...you know like new cabinets, remodels, stuff like that.

So the Flat roof which is off the computer room has sliders out to it all it needs is a deck. This would finish off the look of the back of the house! (my definition of new project) but the roofing material needed to be replaced. So Mainly vinyl came over stripped off the tar and whatever was flecking off on to the deck below and put this high tech stuff on so we could perhaps put a deck up there...It now leaks ...no pours into the kitchen! I came home yesterday to two inches in a bucket!

In the mean time the chimney cleaner came and said the chimney had some kind of thermal incident the tiles were severly cracked and the whole thing needed to be relined!!! Has anyone priced oil this year?? Has anyone thought of going without an alternative heat source?? Do you know how much it costs to have a chimney relined? Oh and by the way they came the other day to do it and they now have to use an alternative method because the tiles can not be removed.

At some point during all this my husband gets the grand idea that he needs to reshingle the roof.
Yep, 50 year old man who's main job in life is "driving a LMD....Large mahogany desk...is going to reshingle the roof of a 3 story colonial. HMhhhmm. Tyler calls the guys "old men roofers".
Now one night at dinner I whined (an art I have perfected) about the fact that all our house money this year is going to maintence instead of asthetics. When he said well, (now that he is the general manager of this high end building co.) I ordered top of the line shingles. These are the kind that go on million dollar homes! "They have a layered feathered look".
Now my roof is three stories up there...I can't see those shingles!!!! What I can see is staging, roofing paper blowing thru my rose bushes and....no new carpeting for my staircase.

Unfortunately all that time spent on the ladders and staging and he has decided to order cedar shingles (pre stained...yippee!) for the back side of the house. There goes my second floor deck and the small bluestone patio I had hoped for next summers projects........

You are all probably wondering why does she own this place....its location location location! I have so many dreams for the place, and I can always see beyond the current mess to the view,
it doesnt have closets, at least for people who have actual wardrobes, and the bathrooms are the size for when people bathed on Sundays, but "she has beautiful bones" and one heck of a view.
Its home.

Nuk ka komente: