e premte, 12 tetor 2007

East of podunk and then some....

Oh my word...I have been to the far reaches of Hancock county, for those of you who don't know where that is its about 30 some odd miles north east of Ellsworth to a little town called Aurora, near Amherst, after going thru Osborne! Yep. I never thought I would get there yesterday. They want to have a shelter, a red cross certified shelter, and no wonder they are out in the middle of nowhere. When I finnally got there I told them.."anything you want"..they laughed.
Seriously, the road there just kept going and going, I started to think I had missed something and called them, and they told me" just keep going." I finnally came to the end of 179, crossed the infamous "airline" to Calais and Canada, and onto Great Pond road. The airline community school serves several small, very small communities and is a K-8 school with just 40 kids. They were wonderful though. I went into the kitchen where they were preparing food that looked like it was for a Christmas fair or something...chocolate fudge, turtles, krispy bars with chocolate, all on fancy trays, cookies etc. They said they were having an X-Country meet and that they were known for their concessions. I should say! They were also cooking up chili, burgers etc. Busses started to arrive from all over Hancock county at that point and I saw several people I knew. It really was a beautiful drive, on the way back I crested a hill where you could see Camden Hills, Blue hill etc.

Quite different than my most recent excursion....DC! The daughter was great. Play was excellent. Actually it was a series of one acts, she was in one of them, all student written but you would swear they were professional. There was a theater reception friday night and several of her professors talked to us. Went to an Edward Hopper exihibit at the National Gallery on Sat. and then Georgetown and out to dinner with the new boyfriend Alex who is quite nice. Flew back Sunday. It was High 80's to 90 all weekend. She said there has been no fall weather there yet. Her next play is the musical the Fantastiks and she has the female lead. I hope to go down to see that in November.

Heading to the Queen City for the weekend, to teach for the ARC! Another Mini institute only this time a little closer to home. I am teaching the entire weekend with no breaks though so it will be tiring.

Life is busy, Gretchen

Nuk ka komente: