e mërkurë, 16 maj 2007

Travels

Barely got out of here Friday...addendum to Rolling Stone post! Tyler won the contest! Got home and found the first place certificate on the counter! Tried to get to work at 9:30 on Friday but then had to activate a card, my computer wouldn't do it so ended up late and then coming in to do it. Picked up Ty at school and we all got on the road about 1:30. Couple of stops to exchange some too short new jeans I had bought him and we made it to Hartford at 8:30.
The Residence Inn Marriot there has a brewpub attached where we like to eat. The waiter that night was a bit odd though..looked like he spilled bleach in patches on his hair and one eyebrow.
Very attractive..not! Especially since he thought he was!

Left by 7:30 the Saturday Morning for DC. Arrived about 3:30 and checked into the GWU Inn and then went over to the dorm...as I thought Care had very little packed. Though she thought she did. We decided we would do it all on Sunday and she would spend the night with us.
Saturday night she took us up to Dupont Circle for Italian and then we walked around and then hit a bookstore cafe for dessert. Just as we sat down there was a torrential thunderstorm.
We were in a glass room so it was pretty wild.

Sunday, Mothers day, we got up and packed her room. It went pretty well and we had it all done in about 2 hours then we all cleaned up, bought a picnic lunch took it down to the National Mall and ate in front of the Lincoln monument. It was great. Sunny, warm and with my kids who could have asked for more. We then walked through the Korean war memorial which we have missed on other trips and Don decided he wanted to walk to the Jefferson Memorial which is down on the Potomac. Well we took the long way and I mean the long way...it was a great walk, by the time all was said and done, but it was miles by the time we got back to the hotel.
Took Carolines friend Katherine out to dinner with us and laughed at their exploits over the year. Then back to bed!! My legs were hurting.

Monday Caroline and I hit the "exquisite Fabrics" store on K Street, which has to be the best fabric store this side of NY. We each bought some material for summer skirts and dress. Then she went off to say goodby and take her last final. Don Ty and I walked down to National Red Cross HQ where they told us they had closed the visitors center! WELL! But did I know anyone, and they could get me a pass...unfortunately some one in the Nurses office sent me an email after I left on Friday, saying look her up on Monday..darn it. They do have tours but you have to reserve well ahead. So much for that. So we decided to see what George was up to. Apparently he just had a press conference in the Rose garden. It was all set up and we saw David Gregory from NBC or Tony Snow couldnt tell which one. Then back to campus to get Care. Drove as far as New Jersey and stayed in a Marriot Court yard.

Don't know what they were thinking when they said the room had two double beds. It was more like two over sized twins. No one slept. I was on the edge all night and by Tuesday morning my hip was killing me. Well after a few hours in the car and all that walking and it all caught up with me, I had one leg that swelled up like a balloon. We had to keep stopping so I could walk and get it uncramped...
all I needed was a DVT or something. It was starting to get quite painful from the swelling and so the final ride home was not too much fun.

Good to have Caroline home though...tons of stuff came through the door Tuesday night then we watched a video of a musical she did that I couldn't go down to see. She was great. Her voice was fabulous and her acting and dance a step above high school. I won't miss another one!
She is off again next week to Europe..very exciting. And we have a 50th birthday at the end of the week. No rest for the weary around here.

Nuk ka komente: