e hënë, 7 maj 2007

Where have I been...?

Where haven't I been is the better question!! Got back from Boston/Quincy spent one night in my own bed then off to the "county" yep! Spent a week up there between Tuesday and Wednesday! First off its" the drive from you know where" on the way up..not so bad on the way back...maybe because its all down hill or something! Ginny packed the car with snacks in case we broke down and no one found us so we could survive for days like some of those people you hear about on Dateline who live off a chocolate bar! We didn't even take the food into our rooms, just in case we got stuck somewhere!!

Speaking of rooms..we stayed at the swanky Northern lights motel a combination dog supply store, and I think obedience school..some sort of dog class or meeting was going on at night..and motel. The motel office had a counter with six inches of space for motel business and the rest was gourmet dog treats and supplies! The manager asked us if we wanted "angels or flowers"
Ginny chose angels..that was the room decor! Don't ask! It was clean, no outlets none in the bath room, and a couple of spiders living in my drain...other than that. It was an adventure.
I could think of worse places.

Toured 4 schools to use as primary shelters including Houlton, Presque Isle Caribou and Fort Fairfield. PI and Houlton were enourmous I had to count the toilets...I am still counting!
The other two towns we looked at the elementary schools. One was perfect. The other was chosen for location by the local fire dept which had put together its own shelter team and under no circumstances wanted the Red Cross to play with them. Until of course they found out we would foot the bill...money does talk! Afore said "gentleman" also told us "no one is going to come to your two day institute next month! Because No ONE goes to things on the weekend around here. Period! end of discussion. Then the newspaper photographer took this "all happy" picture of us "getting along" for the community paper! Gotta love it.

Food was another fun thing, we wanted to go to this italian restaurant that was reccommended and was supposed to be in a lovely dining room. This was after striking out on several other meals...the restaurant was closed for renovations so they had moved it to a banquet room. They sat us next to a sliding wall, where a weight watchers meeting was going on, on the other side! The food was good it was just a weird setting.
Another time we went to this restaurant that had a buffet lunch and they had all these different types of rice on the buffet...to go with what I don't know! We did eat breakfast at Governors though that worked!

Left the county on Wed. one day later (felt like a week). Thought I had been in an episode of Northern Exposure at times. Went home to bed, Bangor to a Pandemic conference the next day,
Rockland on Saturday, and finally my wonderful yellow couch on Sunday!! We leave for DC starting on Friday. I hope to get some office time this week and get some work done.

Mumsy's birthday was yesterday, took her out to dinner, at her fav spot in Blue Hill the one she can't pronounce Marlintini's. She had a good time. Take care all.

1 koment:

Kym in the Gym tha...

I am laughing my head off here at my dining room table reading this blog of yours....the final kicker was, of course the Marlintini's comment...Mumsie actually MIS-pronounced it to me yesterday when she told me you were taking her...and you are right SHE ALWAYS MIS-PRONOUNCES IT!!! Sort of like how she mis-pronounces al dente when talking pasta!!! Go ahead, ask her how to cook spaghetti, and I guarantee it, she WILL say it wrong.
The rest of your excursion notes were a hoot too...I can only imagine!!! "angels or flowers"...WHAT THE @!#^?!!! Sounds like the county has NO right to complain about not being included with the "rest of the state" when stuff gets decided!!! haha
OMG, I really am still laughing!!!!