e mërkurë, 5 mars 2008

"Dodged the bullet" as Ralph put it!

I am actually sitting at home typing this...if you said this morning during that potential Ice Storm this is where I would be I would have laughed in your face...Thank heavens it went it's jolly way..but things did not look promising this morning for ARC girl in Hancock county!

It all started yesterday when as I said MEMA held its 107th conference call of the year..and my EMA director said nothing then showed up at my office to say that his office would NOT be manned today and he gave me his cell and email and that he would direct everything from Portland..yep that was confidence inspiring. So this morning its 29 degrees, sleeting and there is a 2 hour delay for all the schools..what does that tell you what the roads are like? Then I hear on my favorite morning show that power lines are down on the Deer Isle Causeway..so I check my Bangor Hydro sites and sure enough 1100 people without power...before I even get to the office!

So I go out to start the car..by the way ENCASED in ice!! So I let that run for awhile and pack up..as I figure I am not coming home for the night..just easier to stay in town under the road and power condititons especially if Ralphie is going to be Outta town! The drive in is pure hell! I have driven thru alot this winter but ususally I hit a good road after awhile no such luck today..30 something miles of ice and slush and snow and ice pellets hitting the window..took me one hour!!

I get in the office and some "crazed" health and safety instructor decided to take her anger out on the H and S dept by throwing a lot of cpr stuff all over the floor! Nice! Professional too!
Now if she thought about it..she would know that it would have been "me" that had to pick it up and not anyone that she really wanted to offend! Hence making my morning all the more pleasant.

The weather got worse and worse with driving icy rain, power outages etc and I figured I was a resident of Ellsworth..but then it all let up..Just as Ralph called to check on everything..power had been restored at that point to everywhere except Washington county and I was just not going to worry about them today(even though I usually give them a call) and things seemed to calm down nicely! Ralph happy and calm=ARC girl happy and calm!

So I came home and hung up my cape...until tommorow anyways...

Nuk ka komente: