e hënë, 18 qershor 2007

Why do turtles cross the road?

Yesterday, I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner..I go later on Sunday to avoid the inevitable "summer people" who whine about the Sedgwick store being closed. Get over it people its been three years practically. Anyways I forgot my purse..I never do that, so I turned around to head back to Sedgwick thinking there must be some "divine" reason why I wasn't supposed to go directly to the store. As I was heading for the stretch of road where the blueberry fields are I could see a car stopped in my lane and people in the other with a tarp covering something in the road..I am thinking someones been hit..great no one around but me..no cell phone..its in my purse..no cpr mask..its in my purse..as I get closer I realize its probably an animal...someone's dog. They are flagging people to slow down and get in the other lane. I slow down so they can drive in my lane and the couple lift the tarp and there is a huge turtle s-l-o-w-l-y crossing the road. I mean the size of one in Florida or something. What is it doing in the blueberry barrens?? Why did these people put a tarp on it?? I drive by..
weird weird weird is all I think..the thing was huge, so I flash my lights at any one heading in that direction. By the time I come back by the turtle must have crossed, everyone is gone. End of story? NO. Today I get beyond Blue Hill village headed toward Ellsworth and all these cars are either pulling over or swerving for what looks like a rock in the road..a large rock. I can't swerve as a car is coming at me so I nick the rock..a turtle, a large turtle, trying to cross the road in Blue HIll!! What is this..I look back and I have knocked him on his back side, he is laying on his shell kicking his little legs in the air..but he is off the road. Someone in front of me had already pulled over to save him, before I nicked him, what is up with this? These are huge turtles where are they coming from? Lynn, the crows have nothing on these road turtles!!!!

In other news of the fascinating sort..Aisha came home for a night this weekend and Care, Don, Aisha and I went to ...get this...the new authentic Mexican restaurant in Sedgwick!! It has some spanish name that in translation means LL BEANs..Don told me that..How he knows I don't know. This couple used to summer here now they have moved here and opened this place, it was great. We had lunch out side on Saturday there, homemade salsas, burritos, tacos and empanadas it was really amazing.

Friday night Ty's best friend Henry Sullivan graduated..He is going to Milton Academy next year. Paul played piano at the graduation which was long but sweet. We went up to the house after, I really don't know what they will do without Henry around next year. It will be hard for Tyler too, he really has no peer group in Sedgwick. 8th grade will be a tough one for him.

Busy week this week, Have to do the teachers luncheon tommorow, because the parent who was supposed to refused. Don't ask. Wed. I have to go to Hampden with Hill for a Pandemic presentation. Tuesday night is our volunteer meeting. Hoping to get the apartment done this week also.

Watch out for turtles in the road people...and yes super sib #2 Miss Barboza is indeed related to
ie:grandaughter of Joseph..she rides a harley and counts crows! She is very very cool!

4 komente:

Kym in the Gym tha...

They cross to lay their eggs actually....Ken told me that once while we were waiting out a rather large snapper to make it across. They go across from the pond or wherever they had been, dig up some sand on the side of the road and lay their clutch of eggs, bury them, and head back to base. It is a strange phenomenon though...Why don't they just do what the sea turtles do and lay them nearer to the pond??? Strange.
Also, not nice to be tipping them upside down!!! hahaha Mom probably would have driven behind it til it cleared the road though, although as slow as she goes, the turtle would probably beat her!!!

Gigabyte Queen tha...

I want to come and try that restaurant--- it sounds AMAZING!!! I'm looking forward to our 'date' on Wednesday:)

deedeesu tha...

I can't believe you hit a turtle and left it on its back with its legs kicking in the air! I can picture it from here. Oh my God, that is just too frigging funny!

deedeesu tha...

I can't believe you hit a turtle and left it on its back with its legs kicking in the air! I can picture it from here. Oh my God, that is just too frigging funny!