e premte, 23 mars 2007

TGIF

This week went really fast. I have been extremely busy all week with work. I was here until 9 last night. Taught the new Intro class for Disaster. It basically went well except that my "fav" volunteer had to take it because it's new and he hadn't had it yet. The element of surprise was on my side though, he really expected Ginny to be teaching or I don't think he would have lowered himself to a class taught by me. He really didnt shut up, when ever he had the chance to get a word in he most certainly did but I did a pretty good job limiting it. I definitely had the control and knew my stuff, threw in a few historical facts from a paper I wrote last fall for my Grad class in non profits on the ARC, I at least proved I deserve to be in this position. I have at least been here long enough that I can talk comfortably about disaster and emergency services.
I learn something new everyday though this is a big organization and its overwhelming when you try to realize the scope of it all.

Speaking of something new, I was trying to bone up for the evening when a gentleman called the office and asked if this Red Cross office "could take a message", I am thinking "what" then it hits me
A military emergency call..my first one!! On the day I am so nervous because of one volunteer.
Well that certainly took my mind off it all. For those of you who read this and don't know the ARC is the agency that takes messages from familys or military members and passes them on,
thru the military of course but we are the conduit for those messages. Deaths births etc. Requests for servicemembers to come home for emergencys etc. WE can also get messages to people that someone wants to know if they are ok..such as in a storm area and the phones are not working or something. Health and Welfare messages. Gotta love being an ARC Girl!

Speaking of something REALLY NEW...The couch is at the furniture store in Brewer..no Kim you can not go lay on it! They will deliver my "spring break" on Monday. Can't wait. The guy called this morning and I said can't you come today?? whine whine..Oh well a nice way to start off the week next week. Don thinks we should put the old one in the apartment ..why..when they will take it away I don't know. We'll see.

Mom called this morning was filling out some tax form wanted to know what year the store closed she said and I quote was it"1989, 1977 what was it..1963," and I said no 2004 Mom Oh yeah that's right she says..I don't think she had a clue as to what numbers she said wrong.
Very strange. Gotta keep an eye on that. Then She asked if we were going to the Storeys (a dinner thing) I said yes she said now thats tommorow I said no its tonight. She said she cant read her calendar. That one Missy gave her. No surprise there but anyways..

So everyone have a great weekend my guys are going spring skiing and boarding at the Loaf I have no desire to see snow so I am not going which means I did NO skiing this year pathetic.
Unless I change my mind at the last minute but thats doubtful. Care should have a nice warm one in DC..lucky girl.
ARC Girl..who should be working but is posting instead.

3 komente:

deedeesu tha...

WHAT???? Mom said 1989, 1977 or 1963? I just tried to call you (at 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday - sorry about that; you're weren't there anyway). But, my God, doesn't that disturb you? WTF? Gilmore says he can't believe how well she's doing? She still has the vision thing, she's spouting off weird dates and she can't read that Godforsaken calendar that we all had to rush out our precious pictures for? She just sent me some writing for the Yourcenar book. THAT seemed pretty clear - it was actually funny, even. But what the heck is going on in REAL life here? -- SS#2

deedeesu tha...

WHAT???? Mom said 1989, 1977 or 1963? I just tried to call you (at 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday - sorry about that; you're weren't there anyway). But, my God, doesn't that disturb you? WTF? Gilmore says he can't believe how well she's doing? She still has the vision thing, she's spouting off weird dates and she can't read that Godforsaken calendar that we all had to rush out our precious pictures for? She just sent me some writing for the Yourcenar book. THAT seemed pretty clear - it was actually funny, even. But what the heck is going on in REAL life here? -- SS#2

Kym in the Gym tha...

Hmmm, I am worried as well...I mean really-1963!!! Yikes! As for the calendar....who the @#*! cares!!! Oops, did I say that out loud??!! ;)
I spoke to her last weekend and she does seem a bit off, even for her after her first glass of wine. I will have to get down there soon and visit as I have not seen her since Christmas I think(?)
Glad the couch is in...think I will go sit on it and watch the Maine hockey game there today haha!
Kimmie